According to the American Surgeon General’s Report on Nutrition & Health, 75% of cardiovascular diseases, 60% of women’s cancers, and 40% of men’s cancers are related to nutrition and diet. This is a startling statistic since every person on earth is susceptible unless intervention occurs. The mind of the individual possesses the power to switch tracks to alter behavior. In accordance with the above statement, let’s examine statistics related to the positive or negative influence of common activities in our daily lives.
- Washing hands: +2years
- Dental hygiene: +6 years
- Divorce: -3 years
- Regular exercise: +2 years (losing 2,000 calories each week)
- Cigarette smoking: -10 years
- If smoking, no exercise, stressful life: -20 years
Additional information from this source shows that both positive thinking and the practice of meditation possess positive results. An additional tidbit…the habit of fasting one day monthly consuming only water can assure improved health over time. Another suggestion is that a banana consumed on a daily basis can reduce the chance of a stroke by 40%.These statistics are based on Dr. Trisha MacNair’s book, Long Life Equation. This is a quick illustration of how much readjustment power for health situations is in the power of the involved individual. A 2006 study from the University of California in Los Angeles show convincing evidence that couples in stable married partnerships live healthier, happier, longer lives. As you can see, possibilities for health improvement are endless.
It is essential to set a clear goal to live a long, happy, healthy, and productive life. Stress management is workable with a positive attitude. It is a fact that fatigue is the first noticeable symptom of all chronic disease. Let your building blocks of happiness and contentment include: (1) being socially active by maintenance of strong relationships (2) knowing how to laugh and have fun (3) eating right and exercising moderately with a positive attitude.
There are positive signs that an individual knows who he or she is by the rules which are followed. The following rules are signs that an individual respects his body and mind.
- Keep this statistic in mind: Smoking contributes to 400,000 deaths yearly. If you remember this, you will not indulge in the habit of smoking unless you wish to place yourself at risk.
- Maintain a healthy weight, so that you will not be killed by the effect of your own weight.
- Adopt an active lifestyle which enables you to experience happiness.
- Avoid excessive consumption of alcohol which combined with negative circumstances could cost you your life.
- Take care of yourself by fastening your seat belt while driving or riding in a car.
- Repeated doses of medication are not a safe way to reduce stress.
- Go for regular health checks.
- Learn to control one’s own anger.
- Manage time well in all circumstances.
- Don’t make money your primary goal. Benjamin Franklin wrote, “Wealth is not his that has it, but his that enjoys it.”
- Enjoy sound relationships among friends and family.
In conclusion, you need 30-45 minutes of walking, jogging, swimming, or cycling at least 5 days a week. Get exercise in the process of living such as garden work, shoveling snow, making one’s own bed, or better still, daily workouts. Control your own diet with much interest and care.
According to “Successful Aging”, by doctors Rowe and Kahn, an individual’s genetic make-up accounts for 30% of the person’s ability to achieve longevity. The remaining 70% is our lifestyle. If no life-altering illness is involved, a person has a 70% chance of determining one’s own longevity. It’s up to the determination of each individual to monitor these three basic components of lifestyle: body care, nutrition, and exercise. 70% or your ability to achieve longevity is determined by how you live and what you eat.